AUDITIONS FOR 2020 ANNOUNCEMENT!
Live! On Atlantic 2020 Audition Information
Live! On Atlantic, a nationally-recognized entertainment program along Atlantic Avenue at the Virginia Beach oceanfront, is seeking top-notch, innovative, unique, edgy, family-friendly entertainers for the 2020 season!
Auditions are scheduled for Saturday, February 29 (10:30 am-4:00pm), and Sunday, March 1 (10:30am-4:00pm), at the Funny Bone Comedy Club, Town Center, Virginia Beach.
Live! On Atlantic features live entertainment along the oceanfront during the summer months. Sidewalks and street corners are the stages at Live! On Atlantic. Our musicians and novelty acts perform along Atlantic Avenue, the “Main Street” of the Virginia Beach Resort. From 7:30pm-11:00pm, the 8-block corridor of Live! On Atlantic transforms into a magical world of its own that is part outdoor music festival and part Family Fun Zone.
Saturday, February 29, 10:30am-4:00pm
Sunday, March 1, 10:30am-4:00pm
Funny Bone Comedy Club, Town Center Virginia Beach
217 Central Park Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
2nd floor (please use elevators located between It’s Sugar and LOFT for equipment load-in)
- Please download and complete the application AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE and bring it with you to the audition. You may also attach resumes, headshots, demo CD’s, etc.
- Please prepare 3 songs (1 slow to mid-tempo and 2 upbeat). You will play ONE at the audition unless asked to play the second by the audition panel.
- Dress in performance attire that you would wear to perform on LOA. For more information on attire please read the helpful hints below!
- A small sound system with up to 4 mics will be provided in the audition room. Bands should bring their own instruments, amps, guitar cords, direct box, etc. We provide a sound system at auditions ONLY for your convenience!
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early to set up/tune your equipment and to check-in.
- We will be on a tight schedule!
YOU MUST CALL THE LIVE! ON ATLANTIC OPERATIONS OFFICE AT 757-333-0921 (10:00am-5:00pm) TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO AUDITION. Unfortunately, walk-ins will not be accepted. Performers may be asked to return on Sunday for a call back if the panel wishes to see more.
These are NOT auditions for bands that wish to perform on the stages in oceanfront parks. For more information about playing on an oceanfront stage, you must contact our talent-booking agency, More Music Group (757-463-1940). Ask for Jason Bruner.
To help you make an informed decision about auditioning and to get the Insider Scoop on what the Live! On Atlantic review panel is looking for, please note the following:
- We’re looking for performers who are available during the time frame of May 15, 2020 through September 7, 2020, for evenings from 6-11 pm. This does not mean that you will be booked every night but the more open your schedule is, especially availability for Friday-Sunday, the more you could be contracted as a performer.
- To be considered for Live! On Atlantic, a musical act MUST be able to fit on the sidewalk within our space constraints. This means that musical acts larger than 3 pieces might not be booked due to the fact that they are too large. At auditions there will be an outline of the space required. Try to fit in that space during auditions, along with all of your equipment.
- During the season you will be performing four 30-45 minute sets. This means that you will need to know and be proficient with a vast playlist. A helpful hint in choosing your music selections is to ask yourself “Does this music make you happy?” or “Make you feel like you are on vacation?”
- Musical acts that are accepted for Live! On Atlantic will be responsible for providing their own sound equipment. You will need sound reinforcement out on the streets of Live on Atlantic. It doesn't have to be a big system (because you have to set up and take down) but you need to have great fidelity and sound good!! If you have a photo of sound equipment to show judges that would be helpful (but not required). Due to time constraints at the auditions, there will be a sound system we provide at auditions ONLYfor your convenience!
- The members of a musical act (or any other type of act involving more than one performer) who audition with us are the members we will be contracting with. It is expected that the original auditioning members ARE INDEED the members that will actually be performing on Live! on Atlantic. One person could change the dynamics of an act. Exceptions to this policy will have to be approved in advance in writing the Live! On Atlantic Producers.
- There is a dress code. It will be included in the contract issued for all performers. Come to your audition dressed in the type of clothing that: (1) is appropriate for your act (i.e., if you are a Kiss cover band, dress like it; if you are country, do the boots and hat. If you are a group, dress like you are a group); (2) We LOVE Professional, Unique and Innovative. You could be a 4-piece brass ensemble and be dressed in superhero costumes. Think of Disney street acts!; (3) Be sure this is something you can wear, replicate, etc. throughout the season; (4) Be professional (no sexy, no revealing clothing, no shorts, etc. are allowed); (4) A question to ask yourself is: does it look like I am dressed as though I am part of a professional entertainment program?; and (5) COME TO THE AUDITION DRESSED IN THIS ATTIRE.
- Perform at the audition like you would if you were at a live show. Be more than great musicians; be entertainers! Live! On Atlantic is a program that provides free entertainment for visitors to Virginia Beach. We need to see at the audition how you would interact with the "audience.” You need to "draw a crowd" and get our attention!
- All performers will be expected to conform to Live! On Atlantic Performer Handbook guidelines. This also means that if you are chosen, you are signing a contract with Live! On Atlantic to uphold the guidelines AND agreeing to come to ALL of the PERFORMANCE DATES that are in your contract. Remember this is a CONTRACT and not, "Oh, if I don't get a better offer, I will be there.”
- All performers will be required to attend an Orientation Meeting in the beginning of May. Not only will you get helpful and EXCITING information, you will also get to meet the rest of the Live! On Atlantic FAMILY! That's what we are...a family. It's like a winter family reunion in May...people hugging each other, catching up, and trading information. It’s a great time for networking as well.
- Due to our time schedule, the audition panel will NOT be able to discuss salary at auditions. The pay for Live! on Atlantic performers varies from act to act. Variables include: size of the act, number of years with Live! On Atlantic programs, genre of music performed, degree of professionalism, whether it’s an act we need to fill on the roster, etc. Salary is negotiated when you are offered a contract with us. Keep in mind that the more times you are available to perform, the more money you could make.
- The number of acts hired for 2020 is dependent upon how many acts we will be inviting to return from the previous seasons. This means you need to be at the top of your game, in tip-top shape, and put your best foot forward. Have your “shtick” ready. Shine above the rest!
- You can't be afraid of a little weather! Live! On Atlantic entertainers perform outside, on the sidewalk, and still have to show up, even if there is a prediction of rain. We constantly monitor the weather and try to get you out to perform for all of the guests for as long as possible, even if that's for 30 minutes. The Live! On Atlantic Manager makes weather decisions. Additionally, you have to check in (IN PERSON) every time you perform.
- Sign Up today: Call IMGoing, the Live! On Atlantic operations office at 757-333-0921 10:00am-5:00pm to schedule an appointment to audition. Space is limited! Unfortunately, walk-ins will not be accepted on audition days.
Live! On Atlantic is a dynamic, family-friendly entertainment program along Atlantic Avenue at the Virginia Beach oceanfront!
The sidewalks literally become the stage as musicians perform different styles of music guaranteed to make you smile, dance, and sing along as Atlantic Avenue comes alive each evening. Beginning in May, Live! On Atlantic creates a memorable, magical atmosphere from 7:30-11pm. The heart of Live! On Atlantic is along Atlantic Avenue from 17th to 25th Streets, but the parks at 17th and 24th Streets expand the reach of the program to entertain even more guests at the Virginia Beach resort!
Live! On Atlantic begins nightly entertainment on June 14, extending all the way through August 25.
June 12-Aug 30
The Fun Zone is a unique area within Live! On Atlantic that targets the young and the young at heart! Performances on 18th Street and 19th Street and along the block in between promise to inspire and entertain with daring feats of strength and exciting interactive experiences. Watch out for magicians, face-painters, talking dragons, balloon artists, living statues, stilt-walkers, jugglers, contortionists, aerialists, caricature artists, and more as you explore the world of Live! On Atlantic.
And Live! On Atlantic doesn't just stop with the entertainment. Restaurants of every flavor and unique shops await around each and every corner!
Eat, shop, explore, participate, enjoy, and create lasting memories in the world of Live! On Atlantic!